Posted: 30 March, 2020
axis: Ballymun residency award for performing artists with disabilities.
Closing date for applications: Friday 15th May 2020 (Deadline extended)
axis: Ballymun are pleased to announce our performing arts residency ‘Playground’ for artists with disabilities. This residency is designed to support the professional development and the creation of new work by performing artists with disabilities. The awarded residency will take place in axis: Ballymun between May and December 2020 (up to 6 months).
Following several successful residencies across various disciplines, Axis will offer a residency and bursary to an artist with a disability who is interested in developing their performing arts practice.
What does the residency entail?
- Support to collaborate and develop work and ideas remotely (includes but is not limited to; mentorship, feedback from Axis staff in relevant disciplines and other supports that the artist may identify)
- When safe and suitable, studio space (shared studio space in Axis Dance Studio, Recording Studio, Art Studio and Theatre subject to requirements and availability).
- Office space and administrative support may be incorporated into the above on request.
- Presentation/Performance space, if required*
- An artists’ fee of €5000 (to include any materials and/or production costs).
- Access budget of up to €1000** (if required, to facilitate the award recipient’s access requirements).
Timeline and application info:
This residency will commence in May 2020 and the duration, spaces and access requirements will be mapped out dependant on the selected proposal with the artist and axis staff. Resident artists are expected to engage in on-going communication and feedback with Axis and will be asked to share their work/progress via communication through our websites, social networks and other platforms. This communication will be discussed with the artist in advance so as to safeguard the artist and allow space for their work to develop through all parts of the process.
- Location: axis: Ballymun and remote locations in keeping with government guidelines.
- Application Deadline: April 30th 2020
- Duration: Up to 6 months (May – December 2020)
- Eligibility: Irish based performing artists with disabilities of all disciplines aged 18+ are eligible to apply***Technical and presentation support to be agreed in partnership with the artist. Technical and time requirements depending, this may incur a chargeback of staff/engineer costs, but theatre hire will be waived.
**Please note that the residency is not resourced to support artists with accommodation, transport and access requirement costs beyond the amount set out above.
To apply please send:
- A letter of interest: Explain why you think you would benefit from this residency award and identify a facet of your practice you would like to develop over the course of the residency. Please include a rough timeline, bearing in mind that this can be spread out over 6 months, or involve shorter, more intensive periods, subject to availability of spaces and resources.
(.doc, max 500 words)
- CV (.doc, max 2 pages)
- Supporting documentation: examples of previous work.
(max 10 images/works of up to 1gb in the following formats:
.jpg, .wav, .mp3, .mp4, .pdf, .doc.)
- List of enclosed supporting documentation included in the application in a word file
- Please outline any access requirements you may have in relation to this programme.
- If written applications are difficult for you, you can address the above points in a video (no fancy production required, just make sure we can hear and, if relevant, see you clearly) and mail a wetransfer link to email@example.com
Please use WeTransfer to send us all of your application files
- Go to www.wetransfer.com
- Add the files you wish to send
- Enter recipient email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter your own email address
- Add a message: ‘Playground application (insert your name)’
- Click Transfer
You will receive a confirmation email from WeTransfer stating that the files have been sent and a subsequent confirmation email when the files are downloaded by axis.
For further information contact:
About axis: Ballymun
Located at the heart of Ballymun, axis is an arts venue, a production company, an arts development organisation, a community resource centre, and is home to a number of community development organisations. axis programmes at the point of excellence and inclusion seeking opportunity for artistic innovation and access for those interested in participation in the arts whenever possible. There is no division of importance in its programme between arts development and mainstream programming. axis welcomes everyone from all over Ireland and internationally to join in a learning organisation that acknowledges the creativity of everyone.
The small print
Applicants must be over 18 in March 2020.
Applicants may be shortlisted for interview
Axis will not be able to provide feedback on unsuccessful applicants
The bursaries may be broken into smaller amounts and distributed to collaborators ar the discretion of the organiser
If any artist applying has additional access requirements, please note this in application.
We may also offer non funded support to unsuccessful applicants as well if we are in a position to do so.
This residency was initially developed in partnership with Arts & Disability Ireland (ADI). Axis is grateful to ADI for their continued support in an advisory capacity. This residency is made possible thanks to the support of The Arts Council of Ireland / An Chomhairle Ealaíon.
Applications open Mon 30th March and close Friday 15th May 2020 2020 at 5pm. For further info or to ask a question, please email email@example.com.